2020 Branco White 91WE
Alto Alentejo, Portugal
$24.99 6+ (code: 6SAVES2)
This white allows for maximum expression of the Arinto, widely regarded as Portugal’s finest white grape variety and has a smaller Verdelho component.
My Tasting Note on the 2020Medium+ straw yellow. Cool and waxy notes of yellow plum, mandarin orange, and honeydew melon mingle with subtle white flowers. Notes of the barrel come more from the air than the wood, but both imparting a gentle, integrated influence. The palate is harmonious, with ample acids complementing a med/med+ body and med+ flavors that confirm the nose. A slightly waxy texture here too. Texturally this is very pleasing with a roundness and elegant weight that finishes med+ with some wisps of sea spray and minerality.91 pts Wine EnthusiastMedium yellow-gold. Fragrant pear, and citrus fruits mesh with smoky mineral notes and floral aromas of jasmine and honeysuckle. Medium body in texture, ample med/med+ acidity, the flavors are consistent with the nose and pleasantly persistent. Good complexity and medium+ on the finish
- Hand-picked grapes are sorted, then destemmed and gently crushed
- Light pressing by pneumatic press
- Fermentation begins in stainless steel vats but immediately after alcoholic fermentation commences, 75% of the must is transferred to large 500-litre French oak barrels to minimize the impact of the wood on the aromatics and flavors
- The must is left in contact with the lees in order to encourage extraction of compounds that contribute complexity and structure
- 60% of the blend was fermented in 500-litre oak barrels in contact with the lees.
- The final blend was aged seven months in a combination of:
- 50% new French and central European oak
- 40% in second and third-year wood
- 10% stainless steel