***We are Open 11am-6pm, Tues-Fri, 12pm-4pm Saturdays for in store shopping and newsletter/web order pickups***

Emiliano Falsini 'Il Debbio' Cabernet Franc Costa Toscana IGT 2021

Bolgheri, Tuscany

Regular price $49.99

Emiliano Falsini 'Il Debbio' Cabernet Franc Costa Toscana IGT 2021

Emiliano Falsini
Bolgheri, Tuscany

$44.99 on 3+ mixed OK (code: 3saves4)
$49.99 US Low on bottle 1

Il Debbio Cabernet Franc Costa Toscana is created from a selection of Cabernet Franc grapes grown along the Tuscan coast in one of the most beautiful settings with some of the best conditions for growing this noble variety, which has found a new home in this corner of Tuscany. The choice of grapes for Il Debbio involves the careful selection of the best bunches in the vineyard, followed by the separate vinification of the most appropriate parcels according to the climate trends over the year, resulting in an elegant wine with a strong varietal identity and a mineral imprint, a fresh, dynamic wine that delivers a modern interpretation of Costa Toscana Cabernet Franc.

Age of the vines: Approximately 30 years
Fermentation: Spontaneous, indigenous yeasts, vinified in small open vessels with around 30% whole cluster. Skin contact for 15 days with daily punch-downs.
Maturation: 60% of the wine is matured in cocciopesto (an ancient material incorporating crushed brick and stone) amphorae for 10 months, whilst the remaining 40% is matured in wood for 10 months.

For the 2019 (not this 2021): 93 pts Robert Parker Wine Advocate
From the Tuscan Coast, the organic Emiliano Falsini 2019 Cabernet Franc Il Debbio is another highly recommendable new wine from one of Italy's most talented winemakers. The wines show great depth and purity of fruit with tarry blackberry, rosemary and cured tobacco. There is power and heft to the accessible mouthfeel, but the wine is never too dense or concentrated. It ends with lifted aromas of white pepper and wild plum. Whole cluster fermentation is used and the wine ages in amphorae made with a clay conglomerate called cocciopesto in Italian, and some oak as well. Fruit comes from a clay-soiled site in Castagneto Carducci, which is right next door to Bolgheri. Production is 2,500 bottles.

My Tasting Note
Deep ruby core here too.  The nose is pronounced, but elegant, it delivers full aromas of bing cherry, currants, and cassis, with sweet tobacco, classic Loire-like ripe bell peppers, and cracked peppercorn spice.  The palate is med/med+ on the acidity, tannin and body, with the flavor intensity med+, taking a little restraint which I like.  The finish though is long and fans out nicely over the palate.  This is the closest thing to a Loire cab franc I have had not from the Loire, say like a Chinon, but with the silkier textures you find in the new world and enhanced by the partial amphora aging (60%).  Its like taking the best of both worlds, the complexity and flavors of a Chinon, with the refined, silky textures you get from a warmer climate.
Close (esc)

Sign up for Wine Solutions email offers!

Age verification

By clicking enter you are verifying that you are old enough to consume alcohol. 21 or older in the United States


Shopping Cart

Your cart is currently empty.
Shop now