2021 Teroldego 92VM / 92WA
Alto Adige, IT
$27.99 on 6+ (code: 6saves2)
The estate's core red: first bottled by Elisabetta's parents back in 1960 and their largest production today.
- 100% Teroldego
- From 9 hectares of estate vines, planted from 1956 to 2005 on the sunny, well-drained Camp Rotaliano plateau around the winery. There are 15 separate parcels, all hand-harvested and vinified separately.
- Soils are a range of alluvial sand and gravel and feature Dolomitic limestone
- Certified-biodynamic - older vines are trained traditionally in pergola; younger vines are trained on wires in guyot
- Bunches are partly destemmed and partly left intact, depending on the vintage; the uncrushed berries and the whole clusters are layered in cement tanks, where they ferment spontaneously with indigenous yeasts and no sulfur.
- Aged for around a year in well-worn, 20-40-hectoliter botti and bottled without fining or filtration and with a small dose of sulfur.
92 pts Vinous Media
92 pts Robert ParkerThe biodynamic and organic 2021 Teroldego Foradori shows ripe blackberry fruit, rich concentration and lingering aromas of sweet tobacco, nutmeg and exotic spice. Despite those savory tones, this wine remains brilliant and fresh throughout. The mid-weight style makes it a perfect companion to pork or lamb dishes.
Darkly alluring, the 2021 Teroldego smolders up with a spicy bouquet of crushed black cherries, sweet sage and dusty rose. It's elegant and refined, with polished red berries that coast along a core of stimulating acidity. This finishes with fine tannins and classically dry, resonating on notes of licorice while leaving a youthful tension behind. The 2021 is beautiful yet youthfully poised today. That said, I expect a long and fruitful evolution from this balanced beauty.