'Cuvee Courtiol' Faugeres 2019
$39.99 SALE US LOW
*mix & match ok
Cuvee Courtiol is made from the best barrels of wines from each vintage. While it can vary in its makeup, it is usually a majority of Carignan and Mourvedre. The wine is deeper in every aspect. The color is a deep red, with vibrant red edges. The nose is pronounced, with a deeper core of fruits like black cherry, blackberry, and black raspberry, Provencal garrigue notes, saddle leather, and sweet and savory spices that wrap around a clear stone core of minerality. The palate is med+ to full bodied, with med+ grain ripe tannins adding nice structure, the freshness and palate intensity are excellent leading to a long, deep finish. Excellent and a benchmark for the region and Southern France!
My Tasting Note:
Medium ruby red-purple, vibrant, youthful red edges. Med+ on the nose with juicy and fresh red fruits like bing cherry, red raspberry, and red plum, garrigue Provencal herb notes, a light touch of campfire wood smoke, and some mineral notes that the schiste stone bedrock brings. The palate is medium to full bodied, med+ powdery tannin, very good palate flavor intensity and a long, fruit, mineral and spice laden finish. Excellent. VERY French!
- Typically 70-100% Carignan & Mourvèdre, with vary dollops of syrah or cinsault
- Grown in mostly hard rock ancient schist and some sandstone soils
- Vine Age: Up to 80 years old
- Farming: Organic
- Destemmed and spontaneously ferment with their natural yeasts
- After fermentation the wine rests in concrete tanks for 18-24 months
- The wine has not been clarified, no filtration and no added sulphites.
- Alcohol 14%