Wine & Soul
Douro Valley, Portugal
97 pts Wine Advocate
Pintas is one of Portugal's greatest red wines and one of it's best vineyards. Starting in 2001 with the first vintage, this has been one of the most iconic wines in a small cadre of top red wines from Portugal. If you love the wines of Bordeaux, the Northern Rhone, Napa and Rioja, Pintas has some nods to these regions but is truly its own unique expression of this incredible vineyard site.
- One of the top wines in all of Portugal, a complexity beast!
- One of my all-time favorite wines and vineyards in all of the world.
- A classic representation of Douro Valley terroir
- Field blend of 30+ grapes
- Vines 87+ years-old
- Steep schist hard rock terraces
- 20 months in only 30% new French oak
- More Northern Rhone meets Bordeaux in style
- Will age for 20+ years easy, likely 30+
- One of my favorite wines, I buy this every year
- Decant 1-3 hours, though optimal with a few years of age
97 points Robert Parker Wine Advocate
The 2019 Pintas is a field blend (over 40 grapes, but the dominant grapes are Touriga Franca, Tinta Roriz and Touriga Nacional) from old vines (around 90 years) aged for 20 months in 20% new French oak. It comes in at 14.5% alcohol. What can you say about Pintas in all its glory? Big and expressive fruit is the first thing you'll take note of. Yet the second thing changes the opinion on and character of this wine. It's not even close to a fruit bomb. Its structure controls it, making it fresh, precise and lively, never jammy and ponderous. Then, it shows off some serious power. The winery's style generally eschews astringency (except at times on the Port), but there's certainly a fair bit of power on that finish. This is built to age and develop. It's delicious but not one-dimensional. It isn't even close to showing everything it has just now. While not completely unapproachable, it will show a lot better in a few years. It may not hit peak for 10. There were 5,900 bottles produced, plus some other size formats.