Riserva 'Vignolo' Barolo 2017
Castiglione Falletto, Barolo
Vineyard Parcel(s): Various inside the Vignolo MGA
Vineyard Size: 1.35 ha
Vineyard Character: steep hillside
Slope Direction: South-West
• Full destemming; fermentation with indigenous yeasts only.
• Use of Horizontal Fermentation tanks.
• Traditional fermentation with semi-submerged cap with punch-downs and pump-overs.
• Controlled fermentation temperature at 29°C on indigenous yeasts.
• Total maceration time: 30-35 days.
• Malolactic Fermentation in cement tanks during spring following the harvest.
• Cask aging for 48-60 months in Slavonian Oak botti of 20-30-50-80-100 hl.
• Bottled 12 September 2018
• After bottling, the wine was aged in our cellars for a minimum of 12 months before release.
From this cru come wines of excellent structure with tannins that are soft and sweet from early in its life.. The perfume is typically intense and open, evolving into an intense spiced fruit. The initial perfumes are fruity and then followed by floral aspects, then spices, all open and intense. Generally excellent cellaring potential, though the wine is very enjoyable at an early age.
95 pts Robert Parker Wine AdvocateVignolo is a small vineyard site just down the hill from Bricco Boschis. The 2017 Barolo Riserva Vignolo (made with organic fruit) shows extra richness and density and more mineral definition that give this wine precision and focus. There is pencil shaving, crushed stone and licorice around a core of wild berry fruit and soft cherry. This vintage shows a broader more generous personality overall. The vines are 40 years old on average, and this Barolo ages in large Slavonian oak casks for 60 months. Production is limited to 2,609 bottles this vintage.